And the major purveyor of cosmetics in Germany is a company named Schwartzkopf.

Himmel!
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Nancy Gish
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:24 PM
  Subject: Re: ending of 'Gerontion" (was Eliot's Readership)

  It is empty, not dark.  Dark, in German, is dunkel.  (Or Schwarz, as in Schwarzwald)
  Nancy

  >>> Terry Traynor <[log in to unmask]> 3/11/2010 1:36 PM >>>
  >the phrase, "the Gulf claims," still is a puzzle.

  Maybe because "the Gulf" seems to me to be a watery abyss, as in TWL's "Oed' und leer das Meer" (void and dark the sea), I read "the Gulf claims" as noun then verb, with three direct objects for the verb: the gull (both against and with the wind), the white feather in the snow, and the old man.

  Terry