No kidding.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marcia Karp
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:26 AM
  Subject: Re: Eliot on birth control

  All the silk I know of is porous, though, I imagine, a leather condom would have other drawbacks (so to speak).  I guess it depends on how fine.

  Marcia

  Rickard A. Parker wrote:
    It says here that the Dutch made fine leather condoms:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom#Before_the_19th_century

And making this an on-Eliot-topic the Wikipedia article says:
"In 1930 the Anglican Church's Lambeth Conference sanctioned
the use of birth control by married couples."  I believe that
Eliot had something to say about this in his "Thoughts after
Lambeth" essay.

There is also TWL's silk handkerchiefs.  Though the years I've
made a number of on-line searches to get some proof that they
were used as condoms but, while it seems likely, I haven't
quite gotten enough evidence.

Regards,
    Rick Parker