I responded to Jerome's account of grammar itself, not that in the poem.  It is clear that this "he" is Christ; but that is a different issue from the definition of gendered pronouns as a general grammatical claim.
Nancy

Nancy Gish wrote:
> Dear Jerome and All,
>
> This is all correct on grammar. Clearly the progressive would be "Us
> he is devouring."
>
> However--and this is beside the current point and will provoke a
> massive fuss--it is not the case that, as a matter of
> English grammar--"he" is the third person singular personal pronoun.

No fuss here. But for the poem's "Us he devours" it is the third
person singular in the nominative case. And pretty clearly if not
absolutely "he" points to Christ the tiger, while interestingly
"history" is a "she."

Ken