Dear Jerome,

No matter how much you want Marian worship to go away, you'll have to do better than engage in squabbles over translations of the Pope's statement to convince the busloads of Catholics making pilgrimages to shrines to the Black Madonna all over Europe and America, to Lourdes, and everywhere else where Mary is worshipped, whether or not you consider it theologically correct. Soon the celebration of Mary, Queen of the May will be accompanied by processions, prayers, hymns of praise to her as "Queen of the Angels" and a ceremony in which her statue is crowned with a wreath of fresh flowers. I guess the faithful haven't received your memo.

Diana

Sent from my iPod

On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Jerome Walsh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Diana,

Please don't cite random websites as if they were reliable sources; I don't even accept that as "research" when my undergraduates do it.  Neither Ian Paisley nor "RemnantOfGod.Org" qualify as authentic spokespeople for the official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church.  John Paul II's opinions as a theologian and John Paul II's teachings as bishop of Rome are less easily distinguished from one another; I can see how someone untrained in theology may conflate them, though distinguishing between them is fundamental to Catholic theological thought.  In the present case, however, I cannot see how one trained in the nuances of language can overlook the fact that John Paul II did not deliver that statement in English.  The Vatican Information Services translator apparently chose "worship" as a translation of the pope's term; the translator for L'Osservatore Romano chose "devotion."  To wit:

"In the light of this entrustment to his beloved disciple, one can understand the authentic meaning of Marian devotion in the ecclesial community. In fact, it places Christians in Jesus' filial relationship to his mother, putting them in a condition to grow in intimacy with both of them."

I have not been able to locate the original text of the audience; I assume it was in Italian.

The act of translation does not establish official church teaching.  The act of (mis?)translation doesn't either.  "Worship" of Mary in the sense in which one "worships" God is no more acceptable as Roman Catholic Church teaching than "I absolutely adore ice cream" is an act of idolatry.

The Pope's statement, by the way, was made in the course of a general audience, not in an official proclamation, and is, therefore, not an "official teaching of the Church."  If it was printed in Acta Apostolica Sedis, then it is an official document of the Pope, but it still doesn't qualify as a "teaching of the Church."  The Pope is not the Church.

I would also point out that the quotation from Ian Paisley that you appeal to is explicit in its attribution of excessive Marian devotion to "the ignorant multitude."  Unless you intend to assert an identity between the Roman Catholic Church and "the ignorant multitude" (do you?), that citation counters your argument; it does not support it.

Jerry Walsh

From: Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, March 9, 2010 2:04:41 PM
Subject: Re: Christian Belief in Eliot's Pre-conversion Poetry

Dear Jerome:

Marian "worship" is a phrase used by at least one Pope. I do understand that there are those who oppose it, but that does not mean that it has not and does not exist among the faithful. See below. I don't want to do your research for you, since I don't need convincing. If you disagree, do some web searches yourself.

Diana

β€œOn May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother. He noted the words spoken by Jesus on the cross to Mary and to John--"Woman, behold thy son!" and "Behold thy mother!" (John 19:26,27), and he claimed that in this statement "IT IS POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE AUTHENTIC MEANING OF MARIAN WORSHIP in the ecclesial community ... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997).”

http://www.remnantofgod.org/mry-a6.htm

β€œTHE worship of the Virgin Mary throughout the Romish Church is one of those things which there is no denying, any more than that the sun is in the firmament. It is a prime element of the system; and were it to be taken out of her literature, her conversation, and her devotions, it would leave a void that would look like desolation. Throughout the whole of the Popedom, wherever the eye falls it lights on.

A most intelligent and penetrating clergyman of the Church of England, Mr. Hobart Seymour, who recently visited, and for a season sojourned at Rome concerning which he has published a valuable book, declares that "the religion of Italy ought to be called not the religion of Jesus Christ, but the religion of the Virgin." The Son of God is in a great measure lost and forgotten amid the glories which surround his Mother, among the ignorant multitude.”

http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=virgin

Pope John Paul II has 'dedicated himself and his Pontificate to Our Lady.' He bears the letter "M" for Mary in his coat of arms. And his personal motto, which is embroidered on the side of his robes in Latin is the following: "TOTUS TUUS SUM MARIA", which in English translates to: "MARY, I'M ALL YOURS."

"By awarding the Virgin a central place in the cathedral's narrative, the archdiocese is keeping faith with a long, if fluctuating, Catholic and Orthodox tradition of devotion to Our Lady, a tradition enjoying a resurgence under Pope John Paul II. (The pope's personal motto, "Totus tuus sum, Maria," or "I am all yours, Mary," reflects his belief that the Virgin intervened to save his life from an assassin's bullet in 1981 so that he could help defeat European communism.)" -LATIMES.com Sept 1, 2002 By REED JOHNSON, Times Staff Writer

http://www.remnantofgod.org/godmary.htm