---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 8 March 2010 15:30
Subject: Re: Christian Belief in Eliot's Pre-conversion Poetry
To: "T. S. Eliot Discussion forum." <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Diana

The only hangover from pre-Reformation times is the big proportion of English parish churches dedicated to Saint  Mary, etc.

And not many at all of all of our pre-Reformation churches escaped the tearing-down of effigies of Mary and /or the saints by the iconoclasts.

One of the best evocations of the role of the pre and post-reformation English parish church is by another poet, and former-pupil of TSE the schoolmaster - (Sir) John Betjeman's Introduction to his estimable 'Guide to English Parish Churches' - now over 50 years old and long out of print, but never anywherere nearly-bettered.

Betjeman's definition of a 'must-see' parish church was one that was worth cycling 20 miles against a strong headwind in order to see, or one that brought him to his knees as soon as he entered the interior.

Betjeman and TSE's pasionate love affairs with Anglicanism contrast greatly with Philip Larkin's cynicism, but parish churches even succeeded in stirring the emotions of that miserable, desolate, soandso to the near-magnificence and reverence of the final stanza:-
Bored, uninformed, knowing the ghostly silt
Dispersed, yet tending to this cross of ground
Through suburb scrub because it held unspilt
So long and equably what since is found
Only in separation - marriage, and birth,
And death, and thoughts of these - for which was built
This special shell? For, though I've no idea
What this accoutred frowsty barn is worth,
It pleases me to stand in silence here;

A serious house on serious earth it is,
In whose blent air all our compulsions meet,
Are recognized, and robed as destinies.
And that much never can be obsolete,
Since someone will forever be surprising
A hunger in himself to be more serious,
And gravitating with it to this ground,
Which, he once heard, was proper to grow wise in,
If only that so many dead lie round.

(Church Going, Philip Larkin)

It's truly an uplifting  experience and manna for the soul to boot to be able so readily to seek out and to enter and to stand and drink in the atmosphere of buildings that have  been such a spiritual focus typically for the past 500 years or so - back to East Coker / Little Gidding , aren't we ??!!

regards

David