> One does not expect a spectre, usually. I guess the uncanniness would
> depend on whether the walking, talking figure is someone recognized as
> having been alive. Stetson is such an uncanny figure. The eerie qualia
> is produced by the neither-nor state of the phenomenon, the
> spectator's inability to classify or qualify it as living or dead,
> since it's both. This is disorienting and produces a disturbance of
> the subject-object distinction.

Since there's been a switch to Baudelaire in the City may I suggest
the the last line addressed to Stetson, "Hypocrite lecteur, --
mon semblable, -- mon frère!" be considered as reason to think of
an apparitonal Stetson as a doppelgänger.

Doppelgänger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg%C3%A4nger

The text of "The Lesson of Baudelaire" by T.S. Eliot
http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/tseliot/works/essays/lesson-of-baudelaire.html

Regards,
    Rick Parker