I think you would also find that many other scholars have made the
connection.  I have not done the research independently, but many
writers at the time also, including--for example--Robert Graves--made
the connection, and it is the case that seances were held to speak to
the War dead.  That it was not new because of the War does not mean the
War did not make it a powerful cultural activity.  Yeats and many others
were into it before the War, but those who sought solace from death
found that it seemed a last hope.
Nancy

>>> Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]> 3/16/2010 2:31 PM >>>

Dear List

“The Birth of Modernism: Ezra Pound, T.S. Eliot, W. B. Yeats and the
Occult”  by Leon Surrette.

This is an excellent book which, if read, would lend some rigorous
authority to the speculation of this list.  I think for one thing that
readers would find that the occult fascination of the modernist predates
and is little related to  world war I and its horrors.

Richard Seddon
Portales, NM