> I'm offering the possibility of (2) without knowing what it would
> mean for a  wind to be "running on."  But I'm also unsure about
> whether in (4), a gull "running on" would mean that it's "going
> with the flow."

Ah!  Those English verb and preposition usages can cause confusion.
Witness this bit of risque wordplay:

At school one afternoon, little Johnny put his hand up and asked,
"Miss, Miss, what does the expression "Tore his leather" mean?"

The teacher replied, "I'm sorry, Johnny, what's the context?"

"Well, Miss, it says here 'Robin Hood tore his leather jerkin off.'"