*Running* is a sailing term (remember Eliot was a sailor) that means
sailing with the wind blowing from the stern to the bow. I thus read
the passage somewhat as follows:
   Gull [flying] against the wind, in the windy straits
   of Belle Isle, or [the gull flying with the wind] [on/at] the Horn,

If this doesn't answer the question you asked please reply.  I'm off
to other things right now.

Also note the Damyata section of TWL where there is a bit of ambiguity
with the word *beating*.  "Beating heart" is somewhat obvious but
*beating* is another sailing term (and Eliot writes of a boat,
responding, and controlling hands.) Beating is sailing against the
wind where, with proper control of the boat, the sailor zig-zags
at angles to the wind to progress againt it.

Regards,
   Rick Parker