I put off answering this until I could give it some time.
Even still I'm not sure how to respond.

Is the question whether Eliot was manifesting or even asserting a Christian
faith?
I demure on that because I get the sense of a kind of sitting on the fence
in the poem --
  the effect that caused several to say the poem doesn't have a dramatic
arch
 ( I disagree, having been in one two many Beckett plays.[pun intended, of
course.])

I am still taken with the idea that G. may represent or somehow be connected
to St. Paul's "old man",
 in effect he stands for human nature as fallen or decrpit or flawed or
whatever, a crucifer of original sin,
even if St. Paul didn't use the word "geron" to describe the old guy (a
penny for, &c.).

I wonder if the tiger is Blake's, esp given Blake's illustration.
Blake's tiger is awesome. Eliot's is vicious.
Eliot's tiger emerges in spring; Blake's is in the forests of  the night.

Inevitably Blake's cat comes up, but I don't think that is why ELiot is
using
this particular practical cat. The tiger ius everything geron. isn't.
Geron. is just cat food, or so he seems (pretends?) to see himself.
The cavern of the tiger's gut could well be a very windy house.

Is that windy house a church?

Or maybe Geron.is just good old Guy Fawkes ruminating as a failed member of
Al Qaeda,
the Catholic Church, lost in the bowels of Gitmo.

Sorry. My imagination is starting to take over, so I better quit while I'm
still
on the fence. Quit. Quite. Quiet.

P.