Dear Rick,

This lines are spoken by Ugolino in Canto xxxiii, cited by Eliot in
TWL notes: "When I hear the door of the horrible tower locking." The
locking signals that no food will be brought to Ugolino and the boys,
who are starved to death.

Not a happy way for Eliot to describe his work on London! Technically
though, Virgil and Dante have not yet entered the first circle. They
are at the gates. But as I think Carrol noted, souls there never get
out.

The Dante allusion in Burial of the Dead then would seem to compare
London Bridge to the gates of hell, although it employs another quote
from the Vestibule canto.

Who are those crossing the bridge? Residents of this area in the
Inferno are the uncommited, who think only of themselves. That would
not be the war dead.

Diana

Sent from my iPod