Dear Nancy,

If Eliot's "wonders" connote genuine revelation or epiphany, that
would be the Christian equivalent of enlightenment, a state that
"passeth understanding." In no way is Enlightenment an attachment.
While discipline is necessary, attachment to the result of spiritual
practice guarantees failure. It's paradoxical. In
Zen in the Art of Archery (not an accurate text in all respects) Eugen
Herrigal describes Zen archery this way:
"(...) The archer ceases to be conscious of himself as the one who is
engaged in hitting the bull's-eye which confronts him. This state of
unconscious is realized only when, completely empty and rid of the
self, he becomes one with the perfecting of his technical skill,
though there is in it something of a quite different order which
cannot be attained by any progressive study of the art (...)"
Cheers,

Diana
Sent from my iPod