Terry Traynor wrote:

> from "Gerontion":
>
>         Signs are taken for wonders. "We would see a sign!"
>
> Does anybody know the difference between signs and wonders?

I don't know, but would it be something analogous to this rewrting of
the Pledge of Allegiance (used by Bertell Ollman to make a point about
the right-wing fringe in the U.S.): "I pledge allegiance to the United
States of America, and to the flag for which it stands." Thaat is, a
mere sign, the Flag, is taken by super-patriots as a wonder in and of
itself.

I doubt that this answers Terry's qquestion, but I'll throw it out.

Carrol