Carrol, My post about the devouring tiger refers to the progressive
present tense in which the action is ongoing, as in the sentence "The
rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain."

I don't see how a discussion of verb tenses relates to any conspiracy
against Eliot.

I was indicating that the action was ongoing and not occuring as a
completed action in the poem, which addressed Peter's idea that the
devouring provided a dramatic climax.

Diana

Sent from my iPod