Peter,

The tiger doesn't devour anyone in the poem. The figure exists in the
narrator's meditation, who is not undergoing conversion. "Us he
devours" is not expressed in the simple present tense as something
happening at the moment, but rather describes a devouring that is NOT
happening to the speaker. It's a general observation. The narrator is
wondering aloud about the option of consenting to such devouring. That
is a weak dramatic climax. Why search for one at all? Wouldn't an
unresolved ending be more expressive of the poem's content?

A structure that tied up all narrative lines in a pretty bow would not
suit the modern turmoil of the narrator.

Diana

Sent from my iPod