Diana,

I'm distinguishing between "tense" as a grammatical category of verb forms (simple present, progressive present, past, past perfect, future, future perfect, and so on; English has a large number of them) and "time frame" as the temporal reference (to the past, present, or future) of the sentence as a whole.  As Carroll said, the two concepts overlap, but they do not coincide perfectly.  That's why, in my last sentence, I reworded Rick's phrasing to avoid saying that "tomorrow" implies a particular form.  "Tomorrow" evokes a particular time reference (the future), which could also have been evoked by using a particular grammatical form (the future tense:  "I will go").

In other words, I would not say that the "verb alone doesn't determine the tense"; I would say that the verb alone doesn't determine the time frame.  The verb is morphologically in a specific tense (i.e., a specific form), but any such form can be used with a variety of temporal references and nuances.

Much of my post below was written and sent out before I saw your previous post, so I'm afraid I was to a large degree simply repeating what I had already said.  Sorry.

From: DIana Manister <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, March 12, 2010 10:27:50 AM
Subject: Re: "Us he devours" was ....Re: 'Gerontion' -- Grammatical Accuracy

Jerry, Rick said

 "The use of "tomorrow" implies the "will go" form?"

Obviously the verb alone doesn't determine the tense, as you note:

The time frame evoked by the word "tomorrow" is future, and that shapes one's understanding of the whole sentence, including the precise nuance of the verb form.

I don't get what you have added here.

Diana

Sent from my iPod