Sorry, Diana.  That's what "parse" and "tense" meant when I went to school.  Maybe those terms have changed since.

Jerry

From: Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, March 10, 2010 9:04:11 AM
Subject: Re: 'Gerontion' -- Grammatical Accuracy

Dear Jerome,

This is middle-school sentence diagramming, not a complete consideration of all the syntactical nuances the statement implies.

I would like you to explain why you think "devours" is in the simple present tense. You are saying that the tiger is devouring the narrator in the poem, and the action is completed in the present. That's ridiculous.

The tiger "always" devours us, if and when he (or she!) is encountered. That's not simple present tense.

Diana