From: Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, March 9, 2010 2:22:32 PM
Subject: Re: Christian Belief in Eliot's Pre-conversion Poetry

  Jerome, since you profess theological expertise perhaps it is unnecessary to remind you that all Catholics are required by the catechism to accept that "the Pope cannot err in matters of faith and morals." So that when a Pope establishes Mary worship there is no arguing with it.

I don't think it's I who have missed the point. Marian WORSHIP is what Pope Paul II established, not veneration.

Diana

Diana,

Really, Diana, you miss the point sometimes.  Worship of Mary is worship.  Veneration of Mary is not.

"Worship," in theology, is a technical term (just as "progressive present tense" is in grammatical discourse).  No Christian communion I am aware of (including the Catholic, in which I have some theological expertise) "worships" Mary.  Some Christian communions "venerate" (another technical term) her, as your source says.  Some individual Christians no doubt venerate her in ways that are virtually indistinguishable from their worship of God, but to attribute their idiosyncratic (and theologically untenable) practice to a Church as a whole is simply wrong.

If, on the other hand, it is not your intention to use "worship" as it is used in theology, then please define the term so that we understand what you are claiming.

Jerry Walsh