From: Chrissy McClarren <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, February 22, 2010 6:59:37 PM
Subject: Creve Coeur Lake sightings 2/22/10 - Is an Otter possible?

First, I swear I saw an OTTER while at Creve Coeur Lake today.  Is that possible, or was I seeing things?

I ran into the Leucistic Pileated Woodpecker and partner(?) while there as well.  They were very active.  Thanks for the tip on the Pileated, Bryan - or I definitely would have thought I was seeing things.

Here are other highlights (I didn't have my spotting scope but there were lots of ducks and gulls - the only one I am willing to identify without my scope for sure were the COMMON MERGANSERS.):

Bald Eagle - 1
Great Blue Heron - 2
Kingfisher - 1 female
Common Mergansers - not sure of number - 8?
Faraway patches of unidentified Ducks (no scope - I could kick myself)
Ring-billed Gulls - over 150 or more (that's the most I have seen there)
Savannah Sparrows - 15
White-throated Sparrows - 20
Chickadees - 8
Robins everywhere - 50 or more
Pileated Woodpeckers - 2
Downy Woodpeckers everywhere - 15
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
Brown Creeper - 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1
Winter Wrens - 2
Carolina Wren - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 3
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Owl in flight (couldn't ID for sure) - 1

Lots of deer...

Chris McClarren
St. Louis City