My wife and I were house hunting in Columbia this weekend, and I was able to sneak in a little birding. All of these sightings are at least a day old.

I spent Thursday morning stomping around the Bottomland Trail at Clydesdale County Park in St. Louis County. Patient birding yielded a WINTER WREN, a gorgeous (Red) FOX SPARROW, a few YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, a BELTED KINGFISHER (how it's finding sustenance in the 'creek' that's 'running' through the park, I'll never know), and a group of about 40 AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS eating gravel and seeds along the biking path.

On our drive to Columbia from St. Louis I noticed a light-phase ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK on I-64 near Dardenne in St. Charles County early Friday morning.
Later Friday morning I walked part of the Spring Brook Trail at Rock Bridge SP in Boone County. The highlight of the morning was not slipping and falling on the icy stretches of the trail. Birds were few and far between, but I did encounter a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and found a former owl perch--pellets and whitewash abounded around a cedar.

Saturday morning I managed to get us to Eagle Bluffs shortly before 9am. I didn't have my spotting scope, and we were pressed for time, so I'm sure I missed quite a bit. Coming from upstate NY, it was great to see many GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. I only saw one NORTHERN SHOVELER and one CANVASBACK, but GADWALL, MALLARD, NORTHERN PINTAIL, LESSER SCAUP, HOODED MERGANSER, CANADA GOOSE and SNOW GOOSE were all well-represented. A few BALD EAGLES, HORNED LARKS and CEDAR WAXWINGS were flying around. Just south of the sign for Pool 8 I found the two SANDHILL CRANES inconspciously feeding in a field. However, I was disappointed when my viewing drew the attention of another wildlife observer who proceeded to leave his car and walk towards the cranes for a photo, flushing them much further into the field.

Good birding,
Ryan

--
Ryan Douglas