Greetings,

The wife and I returned home to find a dark morph Ret-tailed Hawk perched in the Sweetgum tree in our backyard. I was able to get a semi-fuzzy photo of it, and when I tried to move to a better vantage point, it flew from its perch. Photo can be viewed here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2755290600086129715NTaWtI

It's quite interesting to note that this winter season, I've observed 3 (potentially 4) dark morph Red-tailed Hawks and 1 Harlan's (Red-tailed) Hawk within Stoddard County. Harlan's was present at Otter Slough CA, one dark morph was present at Otter Slough CA, one present at Mingo NWR (one present at south end of Duck Creek CA - potentially the same as Mingo's) and most recently the one at our residence.

I keep trying to make them into a Rough-legged Hawk, but no dice: not yet!

The wife's Crocus' are up and blooming here in Bloomfield; Spring is on the way! Hang in there!

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.