Birds of note:  Northern Shrike at Peabody in same tree as on 20 Feb WGNSS trip.
                     No Loggerhead Shrike and very few ducks.  No owls sighted.
                     Several big flights of Snow Geese over Peabody heading north.
                     Several hundred Snows and a few Ross's at Baldwin Lake in afternoon.

Thursday we went to Baldwin Lake and Peabody to try to refind some of the birds from the Saturday WGNSS trip and the previous Saturday's Audubon discovery trip.

Again, no sign of the Harris Sparrow in the yard across from the entrance to Baldwin Lake, but we did see what looked like a Field Sparrow atop the woodpile adjacent to house: pink bill, rusty crown, clear breast with no sign of a stickpin.  It flew off before we could verify and it wasn't singing.  At our first quick run down the road we saw only Canada Geese and four or five Snows, no Cackling, Ross's or White-fronted Geese.  The main parking lot held an entertaining collection of mixed parentage and domestic ducks in feathers of many colors that thought we were the bearers of wonderful food items.  On our return from Peabody, we did scope a couple of Ross's swimming with a big flotilla of Snows and finally some of the Snows landed on the grasses near the turnaround parking lot.

Partial list:
Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Common Goldeneye, N Bobwhite,
Pied-billed Grebe (many), AW Pelican, Great Blue Heron, Turkey Vulture, N Harriers in different plumages, Red-tailed Hawk, Am Kestrels (numerous), Am Coots, Killdeer, Ring-billed Gulls, Rock Pigeons, Mourning Doves, Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Downy Woodpecker, N Flicker, Northern Shrike, Blue Jay, Am Crow, Horned Lark, Tufted Titmouse, Am Robins, N Mockingbird, E Starling, Field Sparrow (?), Song Sparrow, DE Juncos, N Cardinals, Red-winged Blackbirds, E Meadowlarks, House Finch, Am Goldfinch

A surprisingly nice day to be out while seeing several common birds and one no longer quite so rare bird for the year.

Jackie Chain   St Louis County  [log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]