From: Edge <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 6:30:05 AM
Subject: Re: Why so secret with the birds? (no sightings)

Owls and photographers are a touchy subject, Clark.

There have been several instances (some in Missouri, others that Missourians are aware of) in which photographers have disturbed roosting owls, causing them to abandon the area.  Offenses include getting "in the face" of the owl to get that eye-knocking shot, and breaking off branches to get them out of the picture.

Some Mobirds members have been offended by these actions, and some have been chagrined when they realize it was their information that led the photographer to the bird that no one could find after the photographer's visit.

This is the basis of the reticence to post specific information as to some owl's roosts.  Some birders, upon a request from a photographer, will accompany the photographer to the site.

Just as birders often lose access to birding sites because of the misbehavior of a few, so photographers lose access to information because of misbehavior within their ranks.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO