Mike Niles and I took 5 students out this morning to the Smithville lake area for the Cornell Bird Count.  We re-located the Long-tailed Duck in Camp Branch Marina.  It seems to stay just below the bridge or near the edge of the ice between the bridge and the boat launch.

We went over to see the shrike near Hardesty road and 160th st.   Although it was close only for a short while, we did scope it from a distance and Mike took about 4 pictures of it.  We believe it is a Northern Shrike as reported by Nancy Leo and Helen Hewins.

At a nearby pine grove, I pished up two Red-Breasted Nuthatches.

At Sailboat Cove, we saw the single Mute Swan.

We counted around 21 Bald Eagles.

Now that lunch is over, we are headed back out to take the students on some upland and woodland birding at Watkin’s mill SP and surrounding area….

Stay warm,

Terry L. Miller

Kearney HS

Clay Co., MO