This afternoon between 1:40 and 3:00 pm Creve Coeur Lake was about 1/2 open water.   The following were seen:

Common Mergansers – probably around 150
Hooded Mergansers – 2
Northern Pintail – 10
Green-winged Teal – 1
Mallards – 30
Canvasbacks – 30 or so all sleeping in a row
Canada Geese – quite a few but no Cackling Geese
Gulls – lots of Ring-billed

Walking along the path from the Taco Bell shelter under the Page Ave extension and onto the pedestrian only path no birds were seen until I was on the latter path.   About 1/4 mile in I found a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers.  The female came within 25 ft of me.  Also one Downy, but no sign of Bryan Prather’s Barred Owl, although I do not know exactly where he has seen it.

John Solodar
University City
St. Louis County, MO

http://mobirds.org/