Before this continues, I would like to point out that I was not being "strictly literal," whatever that means. That is an interpretation but not what I said. So please leave my name off this line.

Words clearly depend on context, but there are limits to transpositions of parts of speech. One would not, I think, read a word like, say, "apple" and read it as "appling" and say that a line containing "the apple is red" can be interpreted as "the act of going to pick apples is communist."

It is precisely the intersection of a range of significations and their syntactical position that constrains meaning; poems or any texts are not without some such constraints.
Nancy

>>> Marcia Karp 02/22/10 7:47 PM >>>
Thank you, Carrol, for this.