Prufy can reveal himself to himself because he thinks no
one else can see inside himself.

P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Prufrock question (Eliot interview citation)

        [contd.]

        In the epigraph, Montfeltro would reveal his sin of fraud to Dante because he thinks Dante belongs with him to hell -- that there would be no fear of infamy involved in sharing his state of sinfulness with him.

        In the monologue, like Dante, Prufrock is a visitor to this den of lust/sin. The women here can be likened to Montefeltro -- they share with Montefeltro his sin of fraudulence, of cleverly concealing their state of sinfulness.

        CR