He may be defrauding himself of his virtues/strengths.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 8:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Prufrock question (Eliot interview citation)

        It struck me as well -- the relevance of the circle of fraud in hell -- but only in respect of the women in 'Prufrock'.  Prufrock, like Lazarus or John the Baptist, would like to (though he finds himself lacking in courage) tell them about their state of sinfulness (in a life of lust rather than love), afraid that they will deny the truth saying, this is not it at all etc. He does not know if they are in a state of ignorance (sleep) or they affect ignorance. Fraud (concealment & cleverness) is thus evident in the women who surround him.

        I find no evidence that the fraud (concealment/cleverness) obtains in respect of Prufrock
        -- of course, he is too keenly aware of his frailties and his alienation from the state of beatitude he envisions in the mermaids.

        CR