I do not understand how this can be a "classical dramatic structure" when it states the opposite.  That structure is a description of  an action: it refers to plot. And the central point Gerontion describes is precisely that he has not acted.  He was not at the hot gates; he is old and simply waiting. He says "we have not reached conclusion" [i.e., no climax or denoument]. He speaks only of endless "small deliberations"--thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season."  Classical drama is about acting and its consequences.  There is no action depicted in the lines you quote.

When Eliot turned to drama--even in the early Sweeney Agonistes--he showed actions.  I do not see the point of what you call an observation that cannot apply in this case.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>02/19/10 11:05 PM >>>
'Gerontion' - the dramatic arc

-----

Here I am, an old man in a dry month,    [line 1]

I an old man, / A dull head among windy spaces    [lines 15-16]

I have no ghosts / An old man in a draughty house / Under a windy knob.   [lines 30-32]

And an old man driven by the Trades / To a sleepy corner.    [lines 72-73]

-----

To me the monologue moves along the lines of a classical dramatic structure -- with an Exposition, a Rising Action, a Climax, and a Resolution.

just an observation

CR