Indicting that something or someone is more clever than someone else,
has nothing to do with approval or disapproval.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Nancy Gish
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 9:00 AM
  Subject: Re: OT - a poetic diversion

  It's not comparable.  Herod is known as a tyrant and villain; Groucho Marx, I think, is not.  Obviously it depends on what or who is compared.

  >>> Chokh Raj 02/15/10 11:40 AM >>>
        "He'll out-Herod Herod."  Now read this as a statement of approval, if you will.

        CR

        --- On Mon, 2/15/10, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
          // Generally, "this will outsmart. . .!" will be read as approval, will it not? //
          Nancy

          >>> Chokh Raj 02/15/10 10:54 AM >>>
                "I know the voices dying with a dying fall
                 Beneath the music from a farther room.
                 So how should I presume?"

                "And still she cried, and still the world pursues,
                 Jug Jug' to dirty ears."

                "Endeavours to engage her in caresses
                 Which still are unreproved, if undesired.
                 Flushed and decided, he assaults at once;
                 Exploring hands encounter no defence;
                 His vanity requires no response"

                "Twit twit twit
                 Jug jug jug jug jug jug
                 So rudely forc'd.
                 Tereu"

                Pointing things out does not mean one's approval of it --
                it may be an act of disapproval.

                Regards,
                 CR