putting it simply

Pointing to someone outdoing another in something positive is an act of approval.

Pointing to somebody outdoing another in something negative is an act of disapproval.

Generally, that is.

CR

--- On Mon, 2/15/10, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It's not comparable.  Herod is known as a tyrant and villain; Groucho Marx, I think, is not.  Obviously it depends on what or who is compared.

>>> Chokh Raj 02/15/10 11:40 AM >>>

"He'll out-Herod Herod."  Now read this as a statement of approval, if you will.

CR

--- On Mon, 2/15/10, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

// Generally, "this will outsmart. . .!" will be read as approval, will it not? //
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 02/15/10 10:54 AM >>>

"I know the voices dying with a dying fall
 Beneath the music from a farther room.
 So how should I presume?"

"And still she cried, and still the world pursues,
 Jug Jug' to dirty ears."

"Endeavours to engage her in caresses
 Which still are unreproved, if undesired.
 Flushed and decided, he assaults at once;
 Exploring hands encounter no defence;
 His vanity requires no response"

"Twit twit twit
 Jug jug jug jug jug jug
 So rudely forc'd.
 Tereu"

Pointing things out does not mean one's approval of it --
it may be an act of disapproval.

Regards,
 CR

--- On Fri, 2/12/10, Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Now this will outsmart any Groucho Marx !!

http://www.encyclopedia.com/video/vwz0CzEXUII-funniest-thing-in-world-must.aspx

Regards,
 CR