From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Boyd
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mr. Bleistein at the Cannon Street Grill

Doesn't the late Pat Sloane's (2001?)  book cover this topic at length ?

regards

David

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

A reader of my TWL website recently emailed me a query about a man in
Eliot's life around 1920 named Stetson. He also wrote this paragraph
about Bleistein with information new to me:

  You might be interested to know (if you don't already)
  that there a real Bleistein, who ran a Fur and Skin
  Merchants on Lower Thames Street near Eliot's
  workplace. A submission to Notes & Queries also
  mentioned (although I do not know how the author can
  have known it) that this Mr. Bleistein smoked Coronas
  and dined at the Cannon Street Grill. From that
  evidence it would seem fairly certain he was the real
  life model for the Bleistein in 'Burbank with a
  Baedecker: Bleistein with a Cigar'. 'Money in furs'.
  (Of course Bleistein makes an appearance in the drafts
  to The Waste Land).

Regards,
   Rick Parker