Amen!  Precious observations, Peter..
Hats off !!!
 CR

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It's not personal shame, but shame in the eyes of others as in:

"And I have known the eyes already, known them all—
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?                    60
  And how should I presume?"

If Prufrock were playing Virgil AND Montefeltro, with the reader as an
onlooker Dante,
it certainly wouldn't be the last time Eliot used that trope:

"So I assumed a double part, and cried
     And heard another's voice cry: 'What! are you here?"
Although we were not. I was still the same,
     Knowing myself yet being someone other—
     And he a face still forming; yet the words sufficed
To compel the recognition they preceded."

If the trip is into Prufrock's unconscious then Prufrock would HAVE to be
both Virgil and Montefeltro.

It makes sense for the reader to be Dante:
"Among the smoke and fog of a December afternoon
You have the scene arrange itself -- as it will seem to do--."

Curious that the translation calls it "the fire that refines".
Folks committed to hell are unrefineable,
no matter what their finery.

Cheers,
Peter