He had gone to Burnt Norton with Emily Hale, and she was someone with whom he had had over 30 years of relationship.  Before he left the US and settled in England, he had thought himself in love with her.  The "would have been" seems clearly to be about things that might have happened but never did.
Nancy

>>> DIana Manister <[log in to unmask]> 02/01/10 8:09 AM >>>
Dear Peter,

I'm guessing that when Eliot uses "would have been" he is not using
the future tense. If he meant to indicate a conflation of tenses he
would do so pointedly, as in the quote you posted.

Diana

Sent from my iPod