Do you think it courteous to thank Ken for being discourteous to me? I think that an odd idea of politeness. And this still does not address the whole issue of why it would take a specific instance in all of the Divine Comedy (Dante encounters persons throughout) to suggest to Eliot a common poetic technique.

These parallel monologues serve no purpose. Unless you answer a direct question about facts, it is not a discussion. Have you any evidence whatever--historic, linguistic, biographical, critical--to speculate that in a single epigraph Eliot found so common an idea and was apparently not aware of it before?
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 02/03/10 11:07 AM >>>
Thanks, Ken. As for chronology, Eliot could always go back to the lines (in Dante) that might have inspired him in the first place and choose to make them into an epigraph subsequently.

Regards,
CR

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Ken Armstrong wrote:

Nancy Gish wrote:
> Why do you ignore the fact that the word does not mean "persona" in Italian
CR says explicitly "*a person who could/would/might..." etc. Do you see it? "Persona" he uses in reference to Prufrock. Can we not say Prufrock is a persona? "One can visualize," not
"one can confirm that"...it is as legitimate a way of grasping (at) Eliot's poetry as any.

Ken A
*