Thanks, Ken. As for chronology, Eliot could always go back to the lines (in Dante) that might have inspired him in the first place and choose to make them into an epigraph subsequently.

Regards,
 CR

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Nancy Gish wrote:
> Why do you ignore the fact that the word does not mean "persona" in Italian
    CR says explicitly "*a person who could/would/might..."    etc. Do you see it? "Persona" he uses in reference to Prufrock. Can we not say Prufrock is a persona? "One can visualize," not
"one can confirm that"...it is as legitimate a way of grasping (at) Eliot's poetry as any.

Ken A
*