Yes, I can read.  And my point is that Eliot's claim was not that, and that the epigraph postdates the poem.

Moreover, since this is becoming an increasingly speculative set of comments, Eliot hardly needed to read Dante to imagine the use of personae: IMH is full of them.  They don't generally come from Dante, and it was a common poetic technique.

I do not see the form of the claim as it was stated as legitimate since it starts from ignoring both language and Eliot's own Notebook dates.  Your comments as well as CR's later point are reformulations but depend on the original notion of a "clue," as if Eliot needed one to come up with a persona.  But the original discussion was about "you and I," and that was the focus of the interview claim that "Prufrock" is both Eliot and someone else.  And of course--as he typically did--Eliot gave other explanations.  If you want the extended, source-based, researched reasons I find the duality most convincing, read my article.
Nancy

Nancy Gish wrote:
> Why do you ignore the fact that the word does not mean "persona" in
> Italian
CR says explicitly "*a person who could/would/might..." etc. Do
you see it? "Persona" he uses in reference to Prufrock. Can we not say
Prufrock is a persona? "One can visualize," not
"one can confirm that"...it is as legitimate a way of grasping (at)
Eliot's poetry as any.

Ken A
*