Dear Diana,

I am not a Greek scholar, but according to my reading "Gerontion" does
not mean "growing old." It is a noun, not a participle, and, according
to Southam, it is a disrespectful--because diminuitive--form of 'gerõn,"
"old man." So it means "little old man." A participle can act as a noun,
but this is not a participle--unless you know Greek and can explain?
Nancy

>>> Diana Manister 02/22/10 7:57 AM >>>
Dear Nancy,

The noun "Gerontion" I read as a synonym for "growing old" -- the title
describes the theme. So being changed is the action -- although the
speaker is passive, he does not remain the same. As you say this is far
from classical drama. The agon is between the speaker and time that
changes him and brings death, but he also suffers from disgust with
himself, an internal agon. I'm reminded of a line in a William Carlos
Williams poem: "I have pissed my life."

This is not a big insight; the conflicts are not difficult to identify.
But it's necessary to note them.

Best,

Diana

Sent from my iPod