Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Curious that the translation calls it "the fire that refines".
> Folks committed to hell are unrefineable,
> no matter what their finery.

That was Arnault Daniel speaking.  He was in Purgatory.  I can't tell
whether his shame was between him and God or him and others (or God and
others.) As for Montefeltro I find it interesting that Dante (the poet,)
who had God place him in Hell for eternal suffering, still had him
worrying what others thought of him.

> It's not personal shame, but shame in the eyes of others as in:
>
> "And I have known the eyes already, known them alló
>  The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,

Thank you for quoting the poem in this regard. While I see shame as the
(or a) unifier of the two epigraphs as you can see I'm not sure that you
can peg Daniel's shame to other's people regard for him. Prufrock's
shame may be in what others think of him.  It could be not just with his
relations with women but because he is not manly enough to make his mark
upon the world even in the manner of his appearance.

Regards,
    Rick Parker