It may be observed is not the formulation I'd advise if you believe what you are claiming.  It may be observed that people walk on their heads in Boston, but that doesn't make it true, unless you use observe to mean to witness, but you don't in your quotation from your book.

I don't see any connection between your claim and Barfield's.  Reading a poem allows for sympathetic participation; imagining things that are not in the poem aren't necessary.

Anyway, so much for the work of Anon or Unfamous or Private or RealWriter.

Chokh Raj wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

It may be observed that without empathizing with the poet's inner turmoil that gives birth to his/her poetry, it is well-nigh impossible to get into the spirit of his/her work, much less decipher or appreciate it. 'Criticism', said Owen Barfield, 'must try to alter the state of mind of the artist's audience, from mere wondering contemplation of an inexplicable result, towards something more like sympathetic participation in a process.'

-- C.R. Mittal, Introduction, 'Eliot's Early Poetry In Perspective' (New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers, 2001)

avec humilité

CR

ps - please excuse my posting it again