This seems about right, but also consider it in the light of the title
of Auerbach's book, _Dante, Poet of the Secular World_. Fraud, in this
world, aims at concealing itself -- but the really expert fraud often
longs to be known for his/her clevergness. And Dante (the poet) ofcourse
is not committing the rather ominous sin of claiming to know the future
(i.e. his personal salvation) or aiming to read God's mind by predicting
who God will damn, who save. So the whole poem is not blasphemous only
on the grunds of its _really_ being about _this_ world, where Dante (the
poet or the character) like anyone else is free to make whategver
political or moral or historical judgments seem true to him. Here of
course the _brunt_ of the tale falls on the Pope, and we remember that
Dante was a lifetime enemy of the Pope exercising political power. This
back-and-forth between Montefeltro & the Pope, Dante & Montefeltro,
DAnte and the Papacy, creates the typical tangle in Dante of various
elements scaping against each other and thereby necessitating recourse
to the allegorical or higher level to reconcile everything. Fraud (the
abstraction) becomes _visible_ in this Canto (and the whole poem, and
the epistemology it was grounded in, assume that the abstract must be
grasped in the visible. We are in the presence of an Aristotelian
substantial form, Fraud, which exists only as it is embodied in the
concrete -- and that involves the reader (You in the little dinghy
astern there in Pound's translation) in that move with Dante towards the
final vixion (the divine embodied in the visible) that he cannot hold on
to as he sinks back into the realm of the stars.

Carro