Peter Montgomery wrote:

> It is curious that no one wants to see the parallel between Eliot's "you
> and me" and Dante's Aenaid and Dante.  What's the epigraph for, if not
> to set the scene. If the parallel of pairs doesn't work, then why should
> one consider a parallel with hell either.

Well, I tried it in my mind and it just doesn't seem to work for me.
The epigraph doesn't have Virgil and Dante.  It is Montefelltro speaking
to Dante and this causes me to see Montefelltro as Prufrock with Dante's
reporting job being Eliot's (or in another way as Prufrock playing a
double role.)

The element that seems to be in the draft epigraph and in the final
epigraph is shame.

be mindful in due time of my pain'. Then dived he back into that fire
which refines them.

"If I thought that my reply would be to someone who would ever return to
earth, this flame would remain without further movement; but as no one
has ever returned alive from this gulf, if what I hear is true, I can
answer you with no fear of infamy."