Dear Ken,

Multiform ambiguity occurs as the writer's unintended meanings distort
his ostensible intent.

The narrator of Gerontion is unreliable in a conventional way, in that
his self-characterizations are undermined by implications of which the
author is unaware. N's distaste for others is presented as ostensible
evidence of his superiority, but it betrays intolerance and grandiosity.

Eliot allows his personal animus to cloud his characterization of
Gerontion's narrator, which he no doubt intended to be a pious seeker
of faith but who is easily deconstructed as a snobbish misogynistic
anti-Semite.

Gerontion's author's intention is contradicted by unintended signifieds.

Postmodern authors allow for multiple intentionalities in their texts,
and their texts can often withstand deconstruction as Gerontion cannot.

Diana

Sent from my iPod