DIana Manister wrote:
> Who says the Jew is Jesus? He's depicted as negatively as Fresca and
> von Kulp. Who are they? Mary Magdelene and The Blessed Mother?
  You have to place yourself in the poem. Where is Gerontion while being
read to by a boy? What is being read? Where does one find "the jew" (not
"a jew") squatting on a window sill? One who owns "the house"? One who
has been spawned, blistered, patched and peeled, i.e. the "fish" in
stained glass in just those city-centers of Europe? What is the
significance of the poem's locale to "the field overhead"? You'd have to
give up your fantasy Eliot, the negative one for whom all things created
in his poetry somehow equate to psychological fissures and fractures, to
dig to the real one whom the critics you quote do not touch. The odd
thing to me is how obvious it is that he hasn't been touched, that such
an easy identification of "the jew" is so difficult for the Eliot
Distraction League to simply see, not to say they couldn't sober up,
gather themselves, and push on from that obvious beginning

 What happened to your championing of multiform ambiguity? What are the
windy spaces and who supplies the wind?

Ken