Why does Eliot choose this epigraph to preface this monologue?

To me Eliot is struck by the epigraph's

1."If I thought my answer were to  //one who would ever return to the world//..."

2. "//no one has ever returned alive from this gulf//"

-- the second observation is only a reinforcement of the first --

and this holds good about the place Prufrock proposes to visit --

a den of lust/sin -- the "gulf" from which no one returns "alive".

As for "fraud", it applies _as well_ to these women who seduce their "lovers" into a relationship which is anything but love.

Let us not forget that there is never a complete correspondence between the material Eliot borrows and its application in a new context.

CR