Dear Missouri birders,

Today I joined Mark Robbins, Jon King, and Luis Sanchez (all of Lawrence, KS) for a tour of some SW Missouri reservoirs. The highlight was a 3rd-cycle GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL with a 1st-cycle GLAUCOUS GULL below the dam at Truman Reservoir, Benton County, MO. This was on the lake side, not the spillway side of the dam. Distant, but diagnostic photos are here, including some with the Glaucous Gull in frame: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mja43/sets/72157623199897163/

In general, Truman Reservoir had many birds. Hundreds of gulls including ~100 Herring Gulls were roosting in scattered flocks on the ice. The Great Black-backed Gull was initially seen close to shore, but it soon flew offshore about 1/4 mile. It stayed at this distance for the better part of an hour (about 11:30am to 12:30pm), moving about quite a bit. It was always easily spotted out on the ice given its massive size and dark back.

We believe this is one of very few, if not the first, Missouri record of Great Black-backed Gull away from the Mississippi River.

Other birds of note included:

Stockton Lake:
7 COMMON LOONS
1 AMERICAN PIPIT

Montrose Lake:
1 GREATER SCAUP (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mja43/4321289310/)

fields west of Stockton:
9 Short-eared Owls - all perched out in open in one field on hay bales and fence posts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mja43/4320573781/)

Taberville Prairie:
1 Prairie Falcon
1 Short-eared Owl
2 Rough-legged Hawks
5 Greater Prairie-Chickens

Best,
Mike

Michael J. Andersen
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
1345 Jayhawk Blvd., Dyche Hall
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045
tel.607.351.5409