Anne Downing and I took a drive over to Whetstone CA this morning, hoping to
re-find the Northern Shrike that had been reported earlier in the winter.
Well, no luck in the morning but the "one more try" after lunch was
successful.  The bird was initially found on the west side of the road, but
flew east. We watched it successfully hunt several times in the valley just
to the east of the parking lot labeled "South Lake".  Good looks and
interesting to watch it hunt - have no idea what it was catching.   There
are also two mockingbirds in the same vicinity, so check carefully.  We also
had a possible RL Hawk, but he flew out of sight before we could confirm;
lots of RT Hawks about and one Cooper's Hawk sitting in a tree right next to
the road.  Other usual suspects - and several rabbit hunters.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/