Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:31:19 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Possible photos of injury to Sandhill Crane and what food she is eating
To: [log in to unmask]

Got a chance to snap some shots of her (?) today and when I got home I looked at the shots of her spreading her wings.  I was going to delete as they went off the side of the pic (zooms arent always the answer) when I saw what appears as an old or festering injury under the left wing.  I am in no way an expert but an injury at such a place would seem to make it possible for her to fly short distances but still have a week wing so long flights are out of the question.  I have many shots of her picking under her left wing and cleaning that area.

Other shot is of a snail of all things she is finding in the pool next to the parking lot.

Here are the shots.  http://clark-creighton.smugmug.com/Other/calender-1/11033901_VW4um#771836150_PipSz

Also curious do they ever tag sandhills?  would love to know what happens to her eventually

Good Birding

Clark Creighton
Wildwood MO