Howell Island 01/22/10, 9 AM, 47 F, overcast and misty. The field is thawed as are
the ponds by the parking lot. Grussy is standing elegantly poised in the middle of
the field, not foraging. The thawed conditions will help provide some invertebrates
to the crane's diet.

I wonder what cranes think (where did I come from, where should I go?)? Her
appearance is the same, with no red coloration of the head, and makes me think
she is between 9-12 mos old.

Best birders,

Linda