This afternoon a first-winter Great Black-backed Gull (first reported
by Terry McNeely) was at Long Branch Lake.

I will be submitting documentation, and encourage others to add to
the record.  No Glaucous was observed while I was there.

A couple of short stories about today's birding looking for the gull:

When I arrived, about 300 gulls were on the ice near the dam, and I
began looking through them from the yellow gate at the west end of
the dam.  About 20 minutes into the unsuccessful search an eagle (who
had sent the flock into a lazy confetti whirl-around earlier) came in
with a target in sight.  It zoomed at one of only a couple immature
Ring-Billed Gulls present.  Every gull took off in a much more
determined effort than before and headed toward the landfill.  In
less than 30 seconds, the only gull left over the lake was the imm.
Ring-bill, being chased by the adult Bald Eagle.

The gull made zigs and zags, basically going in fairly tight circles,
staying pretty low.  The eagle made several real attempts to snare it
with its talons.  This went on for nearly two minutes, then a second
adult Bald Eagle joined the dog fight.  The gull continued the same
tactics, twice evading talons by less than two feet.  The gull then
changed its pattern and gained some altitude, making wider circles.
The first eagle tired; its turns were no longer sharp.  It flapped
off.  The second eagle continued for another minute, then left as the
gull headed over the dam.  Total time: just under 5 minutes.  I was
amazed that it had lasted that long.

With no gulls in sight, I decided to bird the rest of the park and
come back to the dam later.

At the marina, I could see two small groups of gulls way out on the
ice.  In the smaller group was one much larger gull.  It was the
Black-backed.  The other dozen or so gulls flew toward the larger
group, leaving the GBBG and one adult Ring-billed Gull.  The RBGU
started walking around the big kid, kinda "naaa, naaa, na-na na!" I'm
in your face, I'm gonna rile you up.  The GBBG then flew to the far
side of the other group.

Kathleen & Harold Anderson and Anne Downing drove up and set up
scopes.  We then watched the GBBG begin picking at something on the
ice.  A crow came in, showing interest in the morsel.  The gull did a
short lunge; the crow dodged, then outmaneuvered the gull and grabbed
the tidbit.  [I really like corvids]

We lost sight of the GBBG when another eagle came in and stirred the
pot.

Kathleen alerted me to a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the front door
feeder at the Corps building.  I waited quite a while, watching the
usual suspects.  The RBNU eventually came in from the pines across
the entrance road, sat in the tree to the left of the feeder, then
flew to the near tree and then swooped to the feeder, grabbed a seed
and took it to the first tree to open.  It repeated this set of
actions for the second seed.

Bodacious birding,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO